The D/A conversion in many regards, is reminiscent of the conversion from acoustic recordings to Shellac. It was noted by Millard that DVD’s became more popular than VHS and actually attending movies because of its price, bonus scenes, and sound. The common thread in all our readings is found in the way music was used to form synergy with other modern technology.

Karen Collins illustrates the symbiotic relationship between music and technology. The statistics in the article made the motive of a marketer obvious. It was noted that 92% of players remember the songs in games. This summer I became addicted to Tap Tap Revenge, and related much of what was said to me. All the songs heard on the game were on my iTunes the very week. It’s amazing how entrepreneurs find ways to make the most of technology.  The use of music in the gaming world changed the face of music in multiple ways. Musicians were not initially used in game sound/music because the process required converting music to programmable form. Musicians became familiar with the process over time and gradually albums and games were released in close proximity to increase “buzz.” Currently, games are rarely made without the association of a popular artist.

Goodwin also speculates on the promotional tactics employed by marketers through the use of music videos. He notes that pop is a visual performance. The expansion of broadcasting in the 1980’s sparked a need for programming to fill the open slots. Entrepreneurs were after cheap programming. This is where music television formed.

Millard also speaks about the change in much detail. Chapter 18 explains all the techy things I never knew about CD’s, DVD’s, and Internet etc. I haven’t quite finished reading it, (I do intend on finishing soon) but maybe you can contribute to way of defining a new use of music.

Reading about all the new technology helps me relive Edison’s era, when people were wowed by hearing recorded sound. I’m amazed at Collin’s speculations on future attempts to create mood changing battle themes for individual players. It makes me think about future advancements. What will we choose over our iPhones (which replace cameras and iPods in the form of a phone)?

One Response to “Information Wants to be Free…”

1.   sm09 Says:

It’s funny that you mentioned tap tap revenge and how you know all the songs and have them on your iTunes. I have to admit I like my fair share of video games, but two of my favorites are completely centered around music, Dance Dance Revolution and Rock Band. I find myself seeing arrows or colors when I hear certain songs on the radio, these games have embedded these songs into my head on a different level than just knowing the lyrics. I literally can play the drums or dance to the songs because of these games. It really is amazing how people have used different media outlets to promote the music industry.